Saturday, October 1, 2011

Particles that make elastic strings

The Forces of Nature by Kelland Terry, Ph.D.
Growing up on the farm always gave me plenty to do. For one thing, from the age of 10 on, I milked our cow every night and morning. I had it down pat. I could leave the house on a dead run, feed the cow a helping of oats, milk her, and get back to the house in 10 minutes (okay, maybe this is a slight exaggeration). She was a jersey cow and she gave us about one gallon of milk twice a day. This was a big source of food for our family because not only did we drink lots of milk, Mother also used it to make cottage cheese, gravies, hot cereals, and we ran the milk through a separator that left us with a good supply of cream for Mother to make butter and butter milk. I suspect I always went to school with a slight smell of barnyard and milk cow.

These days I find myself thinking of gravity and the elastic strings that make my theory work. There are three different particles that are known to create force fields. They are photons (small particles that make up light), electrons (tiny particles that orbit protons or flow through an electric wire), and quarks (not much bigger than electrons) that are found inside the nucleus of the atom. Electrons and photons create electric fields, magnetic fields, and gravitational fields. Quarks also create these same fields, and in addition they create the fields responsible for the nuclear forces. The fields are composed of elastic strings, and each force has its own distinctive strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment